Did you know?
- Newfoundland was a British dominion from 1907 to 1949. It did not join Canada until 1949
- Newfoundland is the world's 16th-largest island
- Gulf of Saint Lawrence is the world's largest estuary
- Newfoundland lost about one-quarter of its young men in World War One
- The island is a likely location of Vinland
L'Anse aux Meadows
|Google Map >|
In 1960, the archaeological remains of a Norse village were discovered in Newfoundland by two Norwegians, the explorer Helge Ingstad and the archaeologist Anne Stine Ingstad (husband and wife).Dating to around the year 1000, L'Anse aux Meadows is widely accepted as evidence of pre-Columbian trans-oceanic contact. It is notable for its possible connection with the attempted colony of Vinland established by Leif Erikson around the same period or, more broadly, with Norse exploration of the Americas.
Further InfoDominion of Newfoundland (Wikipedia)
British Empire - Dominion of Newfoundland
L'Anse aux Meadows (Wikipedia)