The Hierarchy of Visual Understanding
Does increasing organization increase
meaning and memory retention?
This interesting pyramid chart is is more of a philosophical "thought piece" but is nonetheless an insightful take on the relationship of data, information, knowledge and wisdom.
From the comments on this (at the URL above)
- Noise becomes data when it has a cognitive pattern.
- Data becomes information when assembled into a coherent whole, which can be related to other information
- Information becomes knowledge when integrated with other information in a form useful for making decisions and determining actions.
- Knowledge becomes understanding when related to other knowledge in a manner useful in anticipating, judging and acting.
- Understanding becomes wisdom when informed by purpose, ethics, principles, memory and projection.
– George Santayana